- Flexible cab options
- High-performance S-Series cleaning system reduces slope sensitivity
- ProDrive™ propulsion system automatically shifts between two speed ranges as ground conditions change
- 300-bu (10,600-L) S-Series grain tank
Active Concave Isolation (ACI) increases threshing capacity
ACI increases throughput in tough threshing small grains and rice without sacrificing overall grain savings. This system allows producers to continue to harvest outside the optimal harvest window and conditions. The concaves are suspended by hydraulic cylinders that increase the amount of crop that is being threshed as well as reduces the amount of rotor noise that is heard by the operator.
- In tough threshing small grains customers can see up to a 10 percent increase in machine capacity while maintaining their loss level when the combine is equipped with a Tough Crop Packages
- In tough material handling conditions the Tough Crop Packages improve the throughput of the combine up to 20 percent, to better utilize true machine performance outside the optimal harvest window and conditions, while accepting increased loss levels.
- Improved drivability and ability to handle slugs
- Enhanced durability and uptime with the elimination of sheer bolts in the system
- Increased operator comfort with the reduction of concave banging noise
Theory of operation:
The ACI feature hydraulically suspends the concaves; the consistency of the concave gap is increased along with decreasing sensor drift for a more accurate concave distance. Material flow through the threshing section of the machine is smoother giving more consistent threshing.
Automatic shifting with ProDrive™ transmission
Harvesting in rolling ground and slopes
The industry-exclusive ProDrive system uses PowerShift™ transmission technology to automatically shift between two speed ranges as ground conditions and terrain change, to keep the combine harvesting at the desired ground speed. Valuable harvest time will no longer be lost shifting on hills and when exiting fields to start transporting.
- Precise control of the combine speed (when going up or down hills), without the need to continuously monitor and adjust the hydrostatic control handle
- Retains high levels of productivity through the speed ranges with shift-on-the-go technology
- Maintains ground speed when engaging four-wheel drive (4WD) (if equipped)
- Operator-selected maximum speed within each range, allowing for more precise control of the combine in delicate operations (for example, when hooking up headers)
The ProDrive system on S-Series Combines includes an integrated Harvest Smart™ feedrate control system to provide the maximum productivity and reduce operator stress and fatigue.
Theory of Operation:
The ProDrive hydrostatic motor has a higher displacement than the previous hydrostatic systems. Both the pump and motor are variable-displacement components that allow ProDrive to maintain high levels of torque to the ground throughout each of the two operating-speed ranges.
Range one can be set for typical harvesting speeds. Range two can be used when higher speeds are needed during harvest or when transporting the combine.
The ground speed can be infinitely varied within both modes by the operator, using the multifunction control handle on the CommandARM™ armrest console. The multifunction handle regulates the high-capacity, variable hydrostatic pump and motor that drives the ground speed.
Using the navigation tools on the armrest, the operator can dial in the desired maximum-attainable speed within each of the two speed ranges. The maximum forward speed in either range can be set from 0 to 38.6 km/h (0 to 24 mph). The maximum speed in range one cannot be set higher than the maximum speed for range two. For example, if a maximum harvest speed of 13 km/h (8 mph) is desired and set, the full forward position of the hydrostatic control handle will deliver the speed of 13 km/h (8 mph).
The ProDrive transmission is equipped with an electrohydraulic differential lock with a four-pinion differential. Non-ProDrive combines have a two-pinion differential. When operating in muddy, hilly terrain or in sandy conditions that may cause one of the tires to lose traction, this differential lock enables the operator to maintain productivity. If traction is lost, the operator can quickly and easily engage the differential lock by pressing the differential lock button on the CommandARM armrest console. An indicator light within the button alerts the operator that the differential locking feature is engaged.
Drive more productivity with Harvest Smart™ system
The Harvest Smart system is an adaptive, on-the-go control system designed to enable automatic ground speed control during harvest operation. Harvest Smart ensures the combine maintains a consistent crop load (feedrate) by automatically changing the combine ground speed to compensate for variations in crop that are not readily visible to the operator.
During the course of a long harvest day, operators are challenged to maintain the combine at peak performance due to varying crop conditions that affect the crop load entering the combine. The Harvest Smart system will adjust to changing conditions faster than an average operator, maintaining a consistent crop load into the combine. Since the Harvest Smart control system automatically keeps the machine at maximum load capacity, as set by the operator, fatigue and stress are reduced and overall harvesting productivity is increased.
- Keeps a consistent crop load in the separator (rotor) for better utilization of machine capacity
- Maintains a consistent combine loss level for reduced overall field losses
- Reduces operator fatigue and stress during long harvest days
- Maintains consistent grain quality and cleaner grain sample due to more consistent crop loads in the combine
Theory of Operation:
The Harvest Smart system uses three main inputs from the combine to automatically adjust the ground speed of the combine. The system uses information on:
- Crop load in the separator (rotor)
- Grain loss from the VisionTrak™ monitor
- Engine load
Smart mode (rotor pressure and grain loss monitor):
Smart mode monitors rotor pressure and loss level while maintaining operator established parameters (loss monitors must be calibrated). While harvesting with machine optimized at the operators acceptable loss level, the system is set when the calibration button on the grain loss screen is pressed. When loss monitor levels are consistently above or below operator desired levels, system increases or decreases material flow levels, bringing loss levels back into desired range. Smart mode is not an immediate or instant adjustment; the system will change ground speed while not exceeding the parameters established by the operator.
Capacity mode (rotor pressure):
Capacity mode maintains a constant material flow, allowing the machine to increase ground speed when crop materials are lighter and decrease ground speed when crop material is heavier. Capacity mode does not monitor the grain loss system since the mode is only maintaining a constant material flow.
NOTE: Capacity mode should only be used when loss monitors are not reliable, such as when sensors are matting over with crop.
High-performance Dyna-Flo™ Plus cleaning system
The Dyna-Flo Plus cleaning shoe is the heart of the S700 Combine cleaning system. The system is made up of a unique design consisting of aluminum and high-strength steel that reduces overall weight while maintaining overall strength. The Dyna-Flo Plus cleaning shoe also features an enhanced drive system that requires only one flywheel for optimal shoe performance and maximizes uptime.
- Increased size of the sieve area by 12 percent for up to an additional 0.6 ha (1.5 acres) per hour of productivity.
- Tailings volume reduction of up to 28 percent in coarse grains and up to 14 percent in small grains.
- Weight reduction of 180 kg (396 lb) for smoother operation and reduced combine ground compaction.
Dyna-Flo Plus cleaning shoe
Enhanced drive system
The Dyna-Flo Plus cleaning system begins with conveyor augers located beneath the concave area, where the volume of threshed material is highest, to evenly move material onto the cleaning shoe (1). The deep auger troughs provide uniform distribution of material to the cleaning shoe with less bunching, even on sloping terrain and when harvesting up and down hills.
Dyna-Flo Plus cleaning shoe
Once grain is on the cleaning shoe, the raised-center front chaffer cleans up to 40 percent of free grain before it reaches the main chaffer (3). High-velocity air from the cleaning fan elevates any light material traveling over the end of the front chaffer, resulting in more aggressive separation of chaff and increased cleaning performance (2). The main chaffer provides grain separation from chaff as the grain passes through the main chaffer to the sieve (4).
The sieve provides proper sizing of grain from material other than grain (5). Any grain that passes through the sieve is elevated to the grain tank while some grain or material other than grain flows to the tailings return system for reprocessing. On S760, and S770 Combines, the tailings material is directed back into the threshing section of the separator for additional threshing. The tailings material on the S780 and S790 Combines are directed to the active tailings return system for additional threshing, and then directed back on the return pan and then onto the main chaffer for additional cleaning (6).
Platform tilt increases header productivity from the combine
Platform tilt is an option that allows growers to hydraulically adjust the fore-aft pitch of front-end equipment at the touch of a button from inside the cab to adapt to changing crop and field conditions.
- Maximizes performance of header in down crop or changing field conditions to extend the harvest day by up to one hour
- Achieves customized fore-aft angle of header with 17 degrees of tilt
- Adjusts from inside the cab, on the go
- Hydraulic fore-aft feederhouse
- Hydraulic fore-aft hydro handleThe platform tilt feature includes a different multi-function lever (hydro handle) to adjust the feederhouse tilt frame from the cab.Theory of operationModel year 2015 and newer S660, S670, S680 and S690 Combines provide an optional hydraulic header fore-aft tilt capability from the cab. However, all S-Series Combines include a front-tilting faceplate as standard equipment. This tilting faceplace allows static fore-aft adjustment of up to 17 degrees of tilt on the feederhouse to accommodate different header and tire combinations to ensure a parallel cutterbar to ground relationship. This prevents the cutterbar knife guards from bulldozing or the platform healing on the rear of the skid shoes.TriStream™ rotor designed for coarse grains and easy threshing small grainsThe TriStream rotor is unique to John Deere because it features a slightly tapered design in the threshing area for best in class grain quality while dramatically reducing the growling that often comes with heavy rotor loads. The TriStream rotor is recommended for producers who harvest mainly coarse grains along with easy threshing small grains. The spiral vanes surrounding the rotor, guide the crop material through the threshing and separating area in a pull and release affect to improve performance. This John Deere S-Series Combine feature is going to generate less power consumption. Customer Value:
- TriStream rotor technology reduces the force required to move material through the combine by as much as 20 percent, maximizing fuel efficiency.
- The rifling grooves on the threshing elements allow the bullet-shaped rotor to move material more efficiently maximizing crop threshing performance and grain quality.
- Heavy-duty vanes on the top covers propel the crop smoothly rearward through the length of the rotor ensuring all the threshed grain is separated.S-Series TriStream rotorTheory of Operation:Fifteen cast-constructed threshing elements provide superior material handling with excellent grain quality. The elements spiral around the rotor to control material flow. In some harvesting environments, the dense-pack configuration (nine additional threshing elements) may be necessary.TriStream threshing elements Conical top covers allow for smooth material movement within the threshing and separating area. The top covers have a radius larger than the rotor, allowing the material to expand as it travels along the top of the rotor. This design uses the pull and release action of crop material, aiding in the threshing and separating to reduce power consumption.Variable-stream rotor designed for tough material handlingThe industry-exclusive variable-stream rotor features a tapered design in the threshing section which improves crop flow, enhances grain quality, and reduces power consumption. The variable-stream rotor with adjustable top cover transport vanes is recommended for producers of rice and tough threshing conditions. The variable-stream rotor smoothens crop flow during tough handling conditions to maximize throughput. Along with the tough material handling capabilities of the variable-stream rotor configuration, the straw quality and length can be improved due to the electrically adjustable top cover transport vanes.
- The longer rotor taper in the threshing area allows improved material handling by providing smoother crop flow through the combine maximizing threshing performance and fuel efficiency.
- Electrically adjustable transport vanes allow operators to change the vane angle from the cab for improved straw quality.
- S-Series variable-stream rotorTheory of Operation:Fifteen, cast-constructed threshing elements provide superior handling, improved durability, serviceability and maintain excellent grain quality. The elements spiral around the rotor to move and control the material. In some harvesting conditions, 12 additional bolt-on threshing tines maybe installed for increased material handling. Rear discharge flights and a tapered rear cone improve material handoff to the rear discharge beater.Electrically adjustable transport vanes allow operators to change the vane angle within the cab. Longer straw length can be accomplished when vanes are in the advanced position.